To the far left of the screen is a sidebar we called the PeekTree.
It’s a tree control that now has 9 different nodes in it.
This is like the command station inside BaseHead that truly shows what sets it apart from the others!
You can Show/Hide it by pressing [E] and show the settings for this sidebar by clicking the blue gear looking icon and can pin it to always stay open or not so can then press (E) whenever you want to just PEEK to look at it and it will hide again once you click an item. That is how it got its name….8).
There is a lot of flexibility in how you can use some of the node features of BaseHead depending on how you like to work and there are no hard rules.
The PeekTree nodes are….
(Formerly known as “Libraries”)
The Collections feature is a flexible way to manage favorite sound effects or “collections” of sounds such as a favorite collection you are using in a project that you need quick access to.
A few things to note about collections:
- Collections are persistent across databases so this is a convenient way to manage files across multiple databases.
- Collections are “Virtual Folders” which store just the shortcut to files on your computer
- You can store files that do not exist in your database by simply dragging any file from your computer into a collection folder. Perfect for using temporary recordings or edits that you do not want in your database.
- You can create a folder structure quickly for a collection using a structure from your computer by selecting the gear (options) for a collection and selecting to “Import Folder Structure”.
- You can import/export a collection structure to be easily reused or recalled. This is especially useful if you use collections as a temporary project bucket while working on different projects to store your files while you work.
- You can export a collection to create a library or even generate a new database.
Create a new collection folder using the [+] button.
Add nested folders by hovering over the new collection and using the Folder button. You can also add folders within folders.
Hover over a folder to see the Options button for import/export and clean-up options for a folder:
When a Collection has been exported and transferred all the files are dimmed inside marking they have already have been transferred. You can mark them ‘Un-Transferred by right clicking the files or folder inside the Collection.
NOTE: Collections, unlike the below ‘Groups’ and ‘Imports’ are NOT attached to the database by Design so you can create them and switch between databases and they will still be visible and available to use.
Imports are the libraries you create from your content. To get files into BaseHead so you can then use the database you need to create an Import Library
We suggest sub-dividing your Database into applicable libraries to give you more control for adding and removing chunks of your library like in the picture I have my 400,000+ database divided into 6 ‘Imports’ for easier maintenance.
Things you can do with Imports….
- Click the left purple eye icon to hide them from searches
- Single CLICK them to show ALL inside the ‘Import’ in the Results List and browse them
- Ctrl/Cmd+CLICK to focus on selected libraries for searches. When force focusing this will only display results from the selected libraries
- Press the Green Rescan icon to check for newly added or removed files and update them in the Database.
- Press the Blue Delete icon to Remove them from the Database or Delete them off the hard drive
(All the above functions can be found a right click menu also)
As of BaseHead v2020.9.84 the “Focused Selection” (Ctrl/Cmd + Click) will now “live update” the filtered search results.
This allows you to perform a search then use the focus library selection to filter based on selected libraries without having to perform another search to refresh the list.
Groups can be created from the PeekTree OR also on the Import Window.
They can have one of 16 customization colors added to them that will show in the Details Panel and also the Results List.
You can colorize Groups and import into them OR drag files into them OR change Groups of selected records from the Details panel
Some things you can do with Groups…
- Click the purple left eye icon to hide them from searches.
- Single CLICK them to show ALL inside and browse the Group.
- Ctrl/Cmd+CLICK them to highlight them yellow and do a focused search inside them only and ignore the rest of the database.
- You can color code them with the color combobox and the color will display in the Details Panel on the right and Results Page.
- Remove them from the Database or Delete them off the hard drive.
- You can also Ctrl/Option +DRAG items from the Results list to the ‘Groups’ node to add them to the Group.
How will your use them? It’s all up to your imagination….8)
Pro-Tip: Another quick way to create new ‘Groups’ super fast is from the Details Panel by right clicking a [field] and choose “Create ‘Group’ from XXX”
CloudPacks are an online resource of streamable commercial SFX packs you can browse, preview, purchase and import directly into your project without having to leave the BaseHead wokflow.
CloudPack Libraries can be browsed, searched and used in your projects in the same way as your personal localised sound libraries and any CloudPacks you have on your account can be easily added to the BaseHead PeekTree using the CloudPack Manager.
Recent Searches lists a history of previous searches that you can reload the results by simply clicking. Each query stores all the search box parameters that were set for the search when pressing Enter.
Favorite Searches is a place to put the searches you use all the time.
You can add them to this node by pressing the green plus icon from the Recent Searches node.
Shows a history of files recently auditioned so you can go back easily to the ones you heard and liked quick.
Also….If you click the hooked blue icon you can add multiple paths of recently opened sessions of the current selected target application.
Shows all files that have been transferred lately….(both source and destination.) This is handy if your DAW crashed before saving to help you see all your recent files you recently sent to it to help get you back to square one quickly.
Select a result in this node to select/play the original source file from your BaseHead database
Press the Orange Target Icon to select/play the target sound file that was transferred out of BaseHead
in 5.1 or higher we added hardwired integration for Audioknetic’s Wwise allowing you to toss files back and forth while retaining full parameters from
Check out the Wwise WAAPI Walk-Thru page for more info.
Make sure to turn on the node in the PeekTree Options
At the top of the PeekTree you can set the width using the | S | M | L | buttons.
You can Auto-Hide the PeekTree using the Pin Icon which will give more screen space for results and hide the PeekTree when not in use. Use the arrow in the top left to open the PeekTree again (can also force hide when pinned)
The Gear Icon allows you to set which nodes you want to show/hide as well as the number of results you want listed under each node. You can also choose to clear results from each node.
[Video] PeekTree in Action
Watch the below video to see the PeekTree in action!.
(version 4.x video)