Batch rename Comments and Scene field

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Ron
Customer
Topic starter

Hi,

I've got two questions about batch rename.

1. Sometimes I'd like to batch rename the content of the Scene field, but the Scene field does'nt appear in the selection of destination fields.

2. When I try batch rename to write the content of the Notes field into the Comments Field, first a progress bar appears, but then nothing happens, the Comments field stays empty even after refreshing the results list. But I'm able to copy the Notes field and paste it into the Comments field manually, so it's not a problem of the content.

Does anyone have the same experience?

Does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong, or how to solve that?

Thanks

Ron

8 Replies
Admin

PC or Mac? 

Can you attach a screenshot of the renamer setup you have, also the BH version you are running?

Ron
Customer
Topic starter

Hi Jason,

I'm using the recent version 2023.2.10 (Ultra) on Windows 11, but it was the same with all versions before.

Screenshot 1 (left) shows the missing Scene field in the dropdown. Normally I use the Scene field to generate the filename. But sometimes the filename is all I've got and I'd like to write it into the Scene field too, as a basis which i then supplement with further information.

Screenshot 2 (right) shows the attempt to write the Notes into the Comments.

Thanks

Ron

Admin

So the Scenes field, looks like possibly it was overlooked in code so I have asked Steve about this one, should be able to get that added in. 

I cannot confirm the issue with the Notes not copying to Comments tho, seems to work fine for me here (attached test). Perhaps try reset your preferences and see if that fixes this issue, otherwise you may need to open a support ticket and just make a video of the issue because at the moment, just not able to confirm that one. 

https://baseheadinc.com/knowledge-base/defaulting-preferences-settings/

Admin

Ok, so in regards to Scene (and also Take) these are specifically omitted because usually these are usually not editable fields since they are set within the recorder and designed to reflect the actual real scene/take info from the recorder and specifically designed to just be a number field so to avoid causing issues with other applications that rely on this info, these are not able to be batch edited. Nuendo also blocks these fields from being edited so recommended to not store info in these unless it comes direct from the recorder.

Ron
Customer
Topic starter

Hi Jason,

thanks for your answers.

Regarding the Scene field: that is really a pity. I understand, that this is important for film making. But for field recording it would be very useful to have the possibility to batch edit the Scene field. Sounddevices recorders allow the use of text in the Scene field and Wave Agent is able to edit and batch edit the scene field. I can not understand why can I edit the Scene field in Basehead manually but not in batch rename? Besides it is possible to select all records in my database and write the same number/text in the Scene field for all of them at once by changing the field value in the details view.

Regarding the Comments field: I made a video, unfortunately the small window with the progress bar, which appers very short is not visible in the video for whatever reasons. You can see, that I can copy the Note and paste it into Comment, but the batch rename doesn't work.

Thanks for your help

Ron

Admin

For the Scene field I would suggest making a request, not sure we have ever been asked and the explanation I ave is the iXML standard which BaseHead follows (from Steinberg) treats Scene/Take fields the same as Sample rate/Channel, these are set by the recorder (file) and usually not required for batch changes. I think there is an exception within the edit field for single edits tho. It could be added I guess but it's possibly more to protect sensitive data in files that could render the takes useless if it was accidentally batch edited. 

For the comment field issue, since I cannot confirm that issue, edits work fine when I test, you will have to open a support ticket for that one. 

Ron
Customer
Topic starter

I did some more experiments with the Comment Field and found out two things.

With fresh files directly from recorder batch edit of the Comment field works fine, the result appear immediately in the Comment field.

With older files on my harddrive (from the same recorders) the Comment field stays empty, even after refreshing the results list. But I found out, that the content actually was written into the Comment field, it just did not display, because after rescanning the import and refreshing the display, the Comment field wasn't empty anymore. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

I have to do some more experiments to find out, why it's working fine with the new files, but not with the old ones.

Admin

No it is not suppose to be that way, info is written into the db first then into the files. 

I would recommend doing a preference reset then testing again and see if you have the issue still: https://baseheadinc.com/knowledge-base/defaulting-preferences-mac/

Since the info is being written to the file it seems it is not a file related problem. Try also create a new database for the same files you are testing with and see if the issue is also present with a new DB.