Clear all

Lost VST presets?

13 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
 PF
Customer
Topic starter

Over the course of the recent updates, my VST presets seem to have gotten hosed. Has anyone run into this, or does anybody have any suggestions on how to possibly restore them?

I also very recently trashed all prefs and whatnot as described on the BH site for troubleshooting so this may have been part of the cause. 

Right now when I select any of my presets, immediately on the lower right I see "Preset Loaded!", but the same four plus appear in the rack from whatever the last preset that loaded was.

Thanks

12 Replies
Admin

have you looked inside

~Documents/BaseHead 5.x/Presets/VST

that is where they are all stored in a simple format.
No update would touch your documents folder

post a picture of it

2 Replies
 PF
Customer

@admin

I can't add a picture as it appears it must be less than 40bytes... But looking into that folder, my presets are all under VST/x64.

It looks like the presets have been overwriting other presets somehow. So right now, I have 6 different preset subfolders in the above mentioned directory, but then 3 of those are identical to each other, and the other three are identical.

I don't know if I caused this inadvertently (I kind of doubt it) or if there's some kind of bug with saving presets that is causing this. Perhaps where the preset name being shown isn't correct and I am then saving over the wrong one.

I may be able to fix my situation with Time Machine backups, which I often forget I have going continuously 🙂 

PF
Customer

Oh hell yeah...Time Machine FTW.

So whatever happened, it was around August 7 or 8. That's the day when my most complicated preset got wiped, but I've restored and it's fine now.

I'll keep an eye out to see if I can spot it happening again. I did notice that it seemed like the files inside the folder for the preset I had restored briefly disappeared, then came back again in the Finder as I switched presets in BH from that one to "default" which is a blank space on the BH VST preset dropdown. Not sure if that means anything to you, but it didn't happen again after switching to other presets.

Admin

Coolio.  let me know if it creeps up again.

Regarding the photo size.  I have been trying to find where to fix that with no luck for weeks now....ughhhh

1 Reply
 PF
Customer

@admin

It kind of worked out with the photo size thing because one of my presets was something I built after a good friend showed me some tricks, and I was feeling funny about revealing them as he told me he wanted me to keep his secret tricks to myself....hahaha. 

Admin

I think I'm seeing your bug here now!  EECCCKKKK  so bad!

EVERYONE STOP USING VST PRESETS UNITL THE NEXT BUILD IS RELEASED!

I'm trying to fix this now.  8(

1 Reply
Admin

build 13 fixes this and many other improvements. 

Get it now if your build is older that 5.2.13!

PF
Customer
Topic starter

Grabbed build 13. What does it mean when my VST in the rack looks like this?

!!L2 Stereo!!

2 Replies
 PF
Customer

I think this is what happens when you don't:

and also make sure you clear your VST Paths and Blacklist before re-scanning your VST's

However, I have one VST that still is showing a !! name after I cleared VST Paths/Blacklist, and that's Stillwell Audio transientmonster.

Admin

@paul-fox

Maybe need to do a prefs wipe.  It might have the wrong/old path stuck in there.

https://basehead.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/1000042126

Admin

I see my one coder broke compatibility with reading VST's requiring a rescan cuz the list will be blank now....DOH!

I just pulled the update down for now til we fix that cuz a full scan  shouldn't be needed for the change that was done even thought it's best to do still.
We are adding VSTi scanning at the same time as doing other fixes and the extra parameter needed broke forward compatibility reading the VST's and filling the list.
New version coming soon!

1 Reply
Admin

Build 14 is up that should go from 12-14 more smooth but if you are already at unlucky # 13 you might need to rescan.

Sorry about that but he didn't use his brain before doing the VSTi addition  8(

s.