Clear all

Getting Started on Basehead - In need of a few pointers

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Customer
Topic starter

Hi folks,

Picture editor here, trialing Basehead to finally get my SFX libraries into some kind of searchable order.

I've watched the videos and read the 'how to's' but still a bit lost...

The basehead interface I'm greeted with when i launch th app doesn't match that shown in the tutorials - for a start the database and other icons shown above the browser window are absent.

When I hit 'apple+I" to initiate an import, the app does not open the Import settings window as illustrated in the tutorials - it just opens a finder-level window allowing me to navigate to the location of my sound libraries.  When i then go ahead and select a sound library to import, it doesn't import them;  It just creates links to the library files in their original location.

What the hell am i doing wrong?!

cheers,

R.

8 Replies
Customer
Topic starter

Ok.  So i've put some more time in on this and made some progress.

The interface differences seem to down to the tutorials referencing the PC version of basehead, whilst I'm on a Mac.

But, following the process step-by-step I'm still getting the same result on 'import' - the file isn't imported, the media stays in it's original location and the software links to it.  Is that correct, or am i dong something wrong?

Thanks.

3 Replies
Admin

rabgunn,

It's a Database driven program so it just shows the files in the location where they are at for sure otherwise it would be duplicating say 2TB of SFX on your hard drive.  😉

And if you are on Creator or Lite....that is why you don't see the Import window after pressing Cmd+I  Those advanced options are for Standard and above to create 'Imports' or 'Groups' during the importing process....etc.

It's not a PC/Mac thing why looks so different.  They are really close if using the same version but never 100% exact as they are coded separately to take advantage to both platforms where possible.

FYI: If you are on Creator ....just drag to the Results List to Import files is even quicker.   😉

Customer

Thanks Steve and everyone else for your input.  Much appreciated.  Now i understand and the Lite version is working exactly as you describe.  I'm getting there! 🤗

All the best, R.

Admin

You can do it man!  haha 😉

Admin

The interface differences seem to down to the tutorials referencing the PC version of basehead, whilst I'm on a Mac.

Correct. The only real difference is the fact macOS has app specific menus while on PC, the menus are the icons you refer to. 

But, following the process step-by-step I'm still getting the same result on 'import' - the file isn't imported, the media stays in it's original location and the software links to it.  Is that correct, or am i dong something wrong?

That is how it is suppose to work. The software is a database searching tool that simply lists all your files from the locations you select and imports any metadata within the files. You can then add metadata (if using the Ultra version). Once files are in the import database you can search any of the available metadata to find a file then easily spot that file to a supported daw or simply use the DnD bar to drag the file (or a selection you have made) to your DAW

Customer

If you're a Prem user then ATM basehead spotting + transfer isn't working. Being fixed but they're waiting for Adobe to approve a new version of the basehead panel extension. Drag + drop works.

In the meantime, whilst waiting, I've been using neofinder to catalogue my sfx + been dragging from there. Not as powerful, nor does it read/edit metadata in the same way. But you can search + drag+drop.

Admin

In the meantime, whilst waiting, I've been using neofinder to catalogue my sfx + been dragging from there. Not as powerful, nor does it read/edit metadata in the same way. But you can search + drag+drop.

You can also DnD from BaseHead too. Either direct from the file list or using the dedicated DnD bar in the Waveform view. Only thing that may have a hiccup as it relies on high level communication to an application is spotting, DnD will always be possible to any application so no need at all to switch to another program. 

Customer