Clear all

BH for Dialogue editing?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Customer
Topic starter

Hi all,

I'm somewhat new to BH and just finished my firsts Fx editing projects and loved it. 

I was wondering what uses you give to it when editing dialogue.

Just looking for the missing tips and tricks that make our life easier. 😛  

Thanks! 

3 Replies
Admin

BaseHead is best used as a database for effects to find sounds you need even locate new sounds from online libraries that you don't have and get them into your project in the least amount of steps as possible. 

TIP: If you are talking ADR/Dialog tracks you want to manage for a specific project, typically this isn't material you really want in your database to be indexed, but rather as a "temporary" thing. This is where you can use the "Collections" node in the PeekTree to create "folders" which you can just drag your dialog files into without being part of any database, but you can then use all the features of BaseHead to process the files, trim and send to your DAW. Then once you are finished just delete the collection if it isn't needed. 

If you need any further tips, just let us know more what angle you are thinking.

Jian
Customer

I usually create a new database for a project and import the production sound. The i-XML metadata lets me quickly found the take I want. I will monitor the individual track then spot just a selection. This is great since the production recordings usually have more than 8 tracks. You definitely don't want to import the whole file into your DAW. 

Customer
Topic starter

Yes! My first impression was also to use BH to find and sync replacement takes for non usable dialogue. Even when metadata has been truncated on OMF/AAF creation, this will help save time going through production sound spreadsheets (I have used other software for this in the past, indeed much better to be able to extract just the needed portion and channel, faster editing, , space saver, etc.). 

Regarding this last topic, it's common for replacement dialogue to have to use 2 of the 8 or more tracks provided (boom and lav for example). To sync quickly, the sync markers are amazing. Now, when setting a sync marker to the multichannel file in BH and then proceeding to extract the individual channels, sync points are lost (which in turn doesn't allow for precise sync to DAW when spotting each channel). Extracting x channels at the same time would be useful. 

As Jason said, Collections seem like the best idea not to clutter the library DB. I guess proper workflow would be to create another DB specific for each Dialogue editing project and erase on delivery.  

Going through the forums I noticed that there is a pending request for a "find similar" feature that returns similar results. I'm daydreaming here, but I imagine this feature could be useful in conjunction with metadata (ie. search for similar events according to scene/take and shot and set a suggestion marker when a match is found). 

Thanks!