Notifications
Clear all

using Auto-switching paths results in duplicate files

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Customer
Topic starter

Hey, I think I'm probably missing something, but here's what happens and I'd like to streamline it.

I have auto-switching path turned on for my transfer folder. Cool.

In Basehead, tag a file. It creates a version of the file in my session's Audio Files folder. That's great, I don't want to work off of the source!

Then I option-drag the DnD bar into ProTools (2019.6) onto the timeline, and it creates a NEW copy of the file, with a truncated file name, and/or a ".1" at the end. Not cool! This happens whether or not the PT preference is set to "automatically copy all files on import".

I just want one copy anywhere on my system, outside of the library drive, when I use it. Don't want it on an ever-growing transfer folder, don't want a duplicate in my session folder.

Is there something I'm missing, or a technique to get rid of this?

THANKS!

6 Replies
Admin

The "Reference File When Possible" option

2 Replies
Admin

BUT I should also point out that in this day an age of sound libraries at multiple sample rates and the ability to extract channels and pitch sections of files in BH you should probably NEVER use that option and should NEVER have Pro Tools copy audio.

All audio should be converted and copied by BH otherwise you are entering a world of pain.  😉 

and PT should have all copy options turned OFF.

HDD space is cheap and a hell of a lot cheaper then the headache you are gonna cause yourself not following the above    hehehe

You should only Reference files if you only want ONLY whole files sent to your DAW and never ever ever touch the pitchSliders or pitchFX or VST's

So basically if you are cutting ambiances is the only time I suggest working the Referenced way with PT copying OR also if a dialog editor and also using whole files and want to reference originals only.

Sound Designers should never ever work with referenced audio or Sound Effects cats that want to pitch things or manipulate before the DAW.

Admin

and the reason for the .1 .2 .3 is cuz I have to force ON "Create Unique Filenames" cuz without it you will be sending the same file to PT over and over and everything works great until your re-open the PTX session and that dumb program can't find any of the file besides the first one of the set sent to it.
Until they fix that bug or respond to my emails how to fix it ( but It's been over a year) that setting will be forced on unfortunately.

Customer
Topic starter

No I don't want to reference, that seems like it will get messy fast.

So you're saying that what I'm describing is the correct and ideal behavior? If so I might go back to a global transfer folder and just keep an eye on cleaning it out from time to time.

Thanks!

1 Reply
Admin

@adamsound

I would never have a global transfer folder personally.

Set BH to "Follow Session Folder" and tell PT to NEVER copy anything is how it's best to work.

Customer

A solution would be not having TAG copy the file. A Tag is a Tag, ain't it? A label, to point it out.
Tag workflow should be: tag to HIGHTLIGHT and copy the (referenced) file to the tag list, then spot your favourites (or all of them) from there.
Or how else is the taglist interesting by creating these duplicates?