Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Option to truncate Description on spotting

8 Posts
3 Users
1 Reactions
Customer
Topic starter

When 'Use Description for Region Name' is ticked and the description for an audio file is long, when it is spotted to PT it crashes the program, probably because the region name is too long. It'd be great to have an option to truncate the region name on spotting (for whatever the max is in PT) so that it doesn't crash PT.

Oh yea and it'd be great to see complete descriptions in the Results panel. At the moment if there is a <CR> return break it doesn't show the following lines

7 Replies
Admin

1. find out what the max value is and we can add it in when PT is selected

2. The new datagrid for PC isn't showing multi-line [description] and [track_title] like the old one did.  It on the list to fix already.

4 Replies
Customer

@admin

1. 🤣 good one! I'd say pick a number, 60 maybe and I'll see if it still crashes PT

2. 👍 

Admin

@info2

1. Totally serious man..  😉

Take the file that crashes it and duplicate it and re-import it to BH and keep deleting 10 chars from the description till it doesn't crash and then creep up one at a time till it goes BOOM and count them.
My guess is there is a 128 or 256 character limit that their ancient API isn't cropping on import.

One day they might release a proper API.....ugghhh

Customer

I'll save you all the hassle. Weirdly, the Pro Tools character limit for a clip/region name is 248. They must store something else in those last three bits...

Admin

@makarushka
Ok cool I will truncate it there cuz if it's that long it probably has a ton of repeating garble in it anyway.

Customer
Topic starter

I think it must have been an issue with the BETA I was using...  with the new beta it doesn’t seem to crash PT when description loooong as some of them are 🙂

Admin

I added 248 truncation for both PC an Mac version yesterday.  They were at 255 originally so I few more can't hurt. 8)