Clear all

Slow and sluggish search performance • Mac / Build: 2020.8.73

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Customer
Topic starter

Hi there,

Longtime Basehead user. Very happy, although in recent months I've been experiencing very unpredictable search response times - usually resulting in slow and sluggish.

What commonly happens is that I load the database(s) and then have a spell of about 10-15 minutes where description or filename searches are quickly loaded. I then might leave Basehead for 10+ minutes to edit in Pro Tools. When I return to Basehead and search for files the response time is painfully slow, often resulting in the 'spinning rainbow ball of death'.

Have been experiencing this issue for about 6-months now - downgraded to previous versions / reinstalled without any success. Checked manual about improving performance speed, made setting changes, still no improvement. Setup as follows:

+ Ultra Edition / 2020.8.72 build • iMac 27-inch late 2013 • OS 10.13.4 / Pro Tools Complete for editing / Basehead controlled on a separate Dell monitor / Two core sound libraries accessed from two USB3 external hard drives connected into the iMac's USB ports.

I've been using Basehead for about 4 years now, and it's only in the last 6-months that I've been having these ongoing performance issues. Anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas of a solution? 

Many thanks,

Rob

6 Replies
Admin

I'd suggest posting a support ticket, seems odd that it occurs after a period of time. 

If possible record a small video when it occurs and attach this to your ticket if possible. 

Customer

Hi,

I've started experiencing this on a very similar iMac setup.

Did you find a solution?

Ben

Admin

Test the latest nightly build and see if this improves performance. There are currently some optimizations around searches to keep up with the ever growing size of peoples sample libraries so see if it improves the search times and let us know if you find any issues.

Customer

Same kind of trouble for me. (build 11.95 AND 12.97)

Basehead is slowly becoming sluggish as time passes (not only search, but the whole app is becoming slow.. even menus and mouse hovering in the peektree).

quit and restart the app solves the problem.. for a few time..

For the moment, I quit and restart basehead every hour, it works like this but it's a bit annoying (!!!)

(mac pro  2013, macos 10.13.6, protools 2020.11)

1 Reply
Admin

@nicolas-leroy The issue experienced by the OP is search related which is being addressed as we speak, typically related to large databases with a lot of info. Some new efficiency and speed improvements to the database that should be available very soon (or right now in the nightly builds) should improve that situation. 

If your issue is related to the application becoming slow/sluggish over time you would need to create a support ticket with your basehead version and OS etc. By the looks of it your Mac is decently old now and if I know one thing about Macs it's they certainly do not improve in performance as time goes on... almost suspiciously they begin to become worse and worse after the 6 year mark until they are unusable. But a video of the issue would help to see what kind of experience you have as it's not something commonly reported with the latest BaseHead versions or current macOS. 

Customer

You're right, my issue is not only related to search results, but with the whole app, it might have a different cause. I will open a support ticket for that.

I'll just leave one more information here, as it sould help anyone having the same issue to investigate.

I discovered that the issue seems to be memory related, as Basehead memory occupation is slowly growing by itself over time, starting around 93Mo right after launch, and growing up to 600-700Mo after an hour (at this time, generally it is almost unusably slow and I restart it.) That growth is happening even with the app in the background , about 500Ko every 10 seconds.

again, I will open a support ticket with more information.

thanks for your help, Jason.