UCS "Strict" Search...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] UCS "Strict" Search Option [Already Added]

4 Posts
3 Users
4 Likes
Topic starter

Would it be possible to to get a toggle added to the UCS Categories tab's options that allows us to searches only for files which EXACTLY have that combination of categories/subcategories? Sometimes I'll click a category and other records will show up that include the category in the name of the category, but isn't exactly that category. I'm thinking it would fit in right here:

Cloth, for example, often returns "Clothes" and "Clothing" - I recognize that this is because my entire library isn't UCS "compliant" but since it's going to take a very long time to finish the job of UCS-ing my entire library, something like this would be helpful, and I think users in general would see it as a benefit.

Also, not a Feature Request per se but is there a way to show files which exactly match NO combination of category/subcategory in the UCS list? This would also significantly speed up the time it takes to UCS-ify my entire library since I could just immediately see what's left to do and drag and drop a few on a whim instead of going folder by folder, chunk by chunk.

3 Answers

We have a Strict UCS Search Option coming in the next BETA

Check it out in a few days with a few other UCS options coming also in that version and report back then!

thx!

Steve T.

It could be possible to add an option such as "Category Exact Match" which would only return results if the exact category string matches. I believe it was done in a way where UCS categories could still be usable on libraries that have similar tagging already but don't exactly match as many users don't have/want re-tagging abilities and simply want searching.

Cloth, for example, often returns "Clothes" and "Clothing" - I recognize that this is because my entire library isn't UCS "compliant" but since it's going to take a very long time to finish the job of UCS-ing my entire library, something like this would be helpful, and I think users in general would see it as a benefit.

Ah yes so this is matching the "cloth" part of the string because it is simply searching for a match for those sequence of letters, regardless if they are within a string or not. This may be able to be improved but also may actually be desired. 

So to summarise the features you are asking for: 

- Ability to toggle "Exact UCS Match" which would only match Cat/SubCat that is exact match (including Uppercase formatting) excluding any non-UCS formatted files

- Ability to invert the last option to ONLY show files that do not have ANY UCS tagging to allow you to work through files that are not yet tagged. 

- Change the current way Cat/SubCat is being matched to non-UCS tagging to only match "single" words and not string-in-string (such as matching "rain" within "Train" or "cloth" within "clothes". The cat needs to be a standalone word

Topic starter

Regarding the actual searching of Files, I'm personally not using the functionality to rename files for UCS categorizing. Since Basehead is my  one and only library manager, I don't feel the need to rename files, because if libraries ever get "updated" versions the way Boom has done once or twice for their Combat libraries, it feels like I'll be causing myself headaches to sort out the new from the old in those kinds of situations. So I feel like it's most important to worry about Cat/Subcat strings in the metadata within the database.

My "Cloth" example is relevant in situations where a library is not completely UCS-compliant, but even if it were completely UCS-tagged, there's still issues when you don't Exact Match: If you search for the top-level category of "Fire", you'll also pull in records from within the top-level "Fireworks" category, since the string "Fire" appears within "Fireworks". This also happens if you top-level search "Air" and "Wind" (pulling in results from "Aircraft" and "Windows" respectively). 

The secondary request is not so much an inversion as it is a filter that would simply run a search for anything that didn't fit any items in the database that don't fit the UCS scheme. Here's a few examples, using the "Fire" Category, that would be returned when you click the "Show Non-UCS Records" button:

• When I import the Boom Library called "Historical Firearms", the category defaults to "Historical Firearms" - which would now get pulled up when you search for the UCS Category for "Fire". 
  • Many files in my library still have incomplete Category/Subcategory combinations - for example, only having the Category "Fire" but no subcategory.
  • Some records appear in the "Fire" Category but have a subcategory that isn't defined by UCS, such as "Spark".
Jason 05/09/2021 4:29 pm

Searching is a different thing than how the UCS categories match non-ucs tagging. 

To avoid finding non-exact search terms you disable the "Deep Character Search" for the search option (if using BaseHead Std/Ultra)

Switching this OFF will only find a match in a search when the whole word from start to end is found, it will not find strings within strings. 

In the above example the Deep Search is ON so "Rain" is also finding "Train" in a search. 

Switch this OFF and now only "Rain" is found

So for searches it should be possible already to filter this kind of mismatch out. Specifically I am saying the matching BaseHead does automatically for non-UCS tagging needs to probably be without deep search but this could also create other issues since some categories are joined with a hyphen : AMBIENCE-RAIN 

No matter how much coding goes into these things, there are always edge cases that affect someone.