Clear all

[Solved] Sharing Database between two Physical Locations

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Customer
Topic starter

Hello,

My apologies for posting if this has been asked / answered previously.  Unfortunately I am unable to find the answer at this time.

My question is:

I would like to allow / provide database access to another physical location so that any changes I make in my location appear in the other location.  Do I need to purchase another License and / or the BaseHead Server?

Basically, I have a field recording database that I was managing through Finder on Mac that I now am rebuilding in BaseHead.  The company I am on contract with right now would like to see my database in an easy way so that we can determine which files are to be used etc.  Is there a way to do this via BaseHead?

Again, apologies if this has an answer somewhere and thank you very much in advance should anyone be able to steer me into the right direction.  

Thanks - 

3 Replies
Admin

In order to have  a shared database you need a BaseHead server license for the number of connections you will need to access the database at any one time along with however many copies of BaseHead licenses you also need. Info can be found here: 
https://baseheadinc.com/index.php/basehead-server/

Note that a server setup is designed for local networks and not internet access from remote locations. It is possible to set it up in a remote access way but we don't offer support in how to achieve this and you will need to either know how to set this up in a secure way with secure access to your files (using something like Google Drive or Lucid Link can be helpful) or enlist the assistance of a guru that knows. 

If you simply need to allow another user to access your files using another copy of BaseHead for convenient browsing and they do not have to have "edit" access to the files you do not need a BaseHead server setup for this, you can simply use a cloud storage solution that allows file streaming such as GoogleDrive or LucidLink, setup your files in this cloud drive then with the local drive target, import the files to BH then you can send the db file also via the cloud service and the other user can simply open that di on their end. The limitation with this solution is it is multiple people cannot open and edit the db at the same time and it is not ideal, but can be used if you don't really need a setup for a larger networked facility for multi-client setup. 

Customer

Hi! Bumping this thread since it's more or less what I'm looking to accomplish, but with a twist.

My somewhat specific use case is this:

- Sample library stored in dropbox to be able to access from three different machines
- I work from two computers at home: macbook for recording/music production and a PC desktop for game audio.
- I have a third machine, a PC laptop, that I bring with me on the road when working remote (macbook is primary machine whether at home or remote so the PC laptop serves my PC needs in lieu of desktop access).

With the understanding that it's not advisable to manage a database via cloud storage, is it possible to streamline a solution with this setup? Maybe just exporting/importing a database when switching PCs to go remote?

It would only ever involve one computer using Basehead at a time, but I'd love to be able to keep everything updated so it syncs between the three. Most of the use at least would be primarily between the two PCs if that makes things easier.

Cheers!

Admin

Hey!

it's sound like you have a simple setup need so you nailed it with this.
"Maybe just exporting/importing a database when switching PCs to go remote?"

Just put the latest version non dropbox before you go remote and pull it down at the remote location, use and when done replace the one on Dropbox.

Synced folders for DB's and audio files that you want to do metadata editing is usually not a good idea cuz they as soon as Dropbox will see a file being changed it will try and sync it immediately locking the file before BH is finished with it and you could end up with a corrupt file of noise.  8(

We have safeguards in place to prevent editing files on Drop Box already in place.

Back to your DB sync issue...
The good news basehead v2024 will have new easy syncing option build in not using BaseHead Server (cubeSQL)

Right now we are working on a Local LAN version for facilities, but the plan to expand it to WAN and use Serverless databases also and have a way to upload to your BaseHead Account also.  😉
The new system will also eventually be expanded to Peer to Peer syncing without the need for a single primary.  All computers could be a primary node and when any two computers see each other they will auto-sync.

huge changes on the horizon!  8)

Steve