Notifications
Clear all

See the description only in Bext?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Customer
Topic starter

Is it possible to see the description only in the bext chunk in one column? 

I have a lot of SFX with only filename and not description, where I want to copy the filename to the description and save it in the bext chunk. The problem now is when I import and build my database, the files that don't have any description will get the filename automatic copy to the description and written to the database. So when I wanna check which files got the description in the bext chunk I cant see this.

I guess I can just show all my records and burn in the description in the bext chunk, but then I will rewrite a lot of files that don't need to be rewritten. The problem with inject the metadata to the bext chunk is also that it writes a lot of stuff I don't want to, like putting "Basehead" in the originator etc.

So, either I want to see the description ONLY in the bext. Or if I can import files without having Basehead copy the filename to the description if that part is empty. Then I have to rebuild my whole database but I can live with that.

2 Replies
Admin

As you can guess we put the [filename] in the [description] if one doesn't exists so if a user searches by [description] he still finds the records. Same with [category] is a special field also but we do have combo searches nowaday so I'm not sure we should still be dong this.  Maybe need to make it as an option but have it ON as default I think............hmmmm

Might need to be a future feature/option. 😉

Anyway....You could use the Batch Renamer to copy [filename] to [description].  That "should" not mess with [originator]

Have you tried that?

Customer
Topic starter

The import thing when BH is putting the filename in the description is very good, after I have started to sort up my SFX archive. The only time I would like to separate the bext description from the other descriptions (like the one auto written to the database or the one in the ixml chunk) is when there is some kind of description, but it's totally wrong or messed up. For example, the Sound devices put a lot of own strange metadata in the description field. This makes me have to skim through all imported files and see where do I have to copy the filename to the description manually. 

I haven't figured out when Basehead is writing basehead to the originator, my first thought was that if the bextchunk is empty, and I do some kind of changing it will automatically write basehead to the bext, but still don't let me see it in the column. So kind of sneaky. Another thing is that I cant stripe the originator totally. Maybe it's fixed in a newer version, I'm on 2021.7.23.

And yeah I do alot of copying the filename to the description, and alot of other batch renaming also. Will see if i can figure out the originator write thing.

When I'm finished testing I will write a longer "review" of my experience with the program. And hopefully im wrong on the bad parts 😉