Notifications
Clear all

'Project Mode' Discussion

10 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Admin
Topic starter

For a while I have been kicking around the idea of a companion Project Mode database that logs what files we used and where so 5-8 years from now you can easily pull it up and browse/grab the same glass crashes and stabs that user "Joe Blow" used on "Ash vs Evil Dead" in "Reel 3

So you'd enter these details right now

UserName
Project Name
Episode
Reel
like so

?dl=0

and as everyone works on the project that is connected to this database it will add an entry to the shared Project Mode Database for each time a user transferred a file to their DAW and at the end of the project IT can archive it and place it somewhere that in the future users can see all that was used on past projects simply by loading this archive DB.

Thoughts on this (and only this) feature? 

What other fields/info would we want logged into this database that would help pinpoint previous files used?

s.

9 Replies
Admin
Topic starter

Anyone else gonna chime in on this? cuz this is gonna go into production like this week yo!ย  8)

We might need to change the database format slightly to accommodate this new feature and only want to do this once so speak up now or forever hold your peace ๐Ÿ˜‰

s.

ย 

Customer

Hi,

great idea! Some thoughts about it:

short cuts: add to project, remove, copy, paste

option to add project-related comments for sounds

In my opinion it'd be nice if I could export all the project files with folders, subfolders.. (project, reel...) e.g. to bring them to the mix stage

the other thing I remember from the rival product was, I found it annoying to have to name reel, scene, spot... always, even if not necessary. Sometimes I start a project collecting all ambience sounds for a spec location or all the gun shot sounds. It'd be ok to say all this stuff goes to reel 0 and the scene names the headline for that collection.

search functions are helpful, like "show me all the files with -roar- in description I've ever used" or "show me all my roars in Jurassic Park"

ย 

1 Reply
Admin

@mspisak

Marcel, I know you wanted this as a former Netmix user.  Can you post screenshots what you liked about their version of this?
BUT please tell me what you didn't like so we ignore that  ๐Ÿ˜‰

Customer

Hi,

made a video. you see features and other things. when you click on a sound it appears in the waveform and can be spotted or transferred. So the project manager is just an organizer.

comments field are very heplful. There's a short cut to add a sound with or without comment to the project. I do not care for reel numbers, scene numbers are quite enough.

At the end of the clip I had forgotten how to stop ;-)))

https://cp.sync.com/dl/0f33cf820/xzgphbde-qbsv59rc-rphx2rhm-g4yf6y5m

1 Reply
Admin

@mspisak

Thx for the video but man.... that looks like a ton of manual labor for the user compared to what I have in mind...haha  8)

Do you use this NM feature solo or in a team of people adding to the same Project?

s.

Customer

The workflow is: create new project and new reel (most of the time I used #1, only), then start editing. create new scene, either with scene # or just scene "0" for all the other collected stuff, create spot and then you can collect the sounds for that spot. It's quite annoying to do that all and then be aware to put the sound in the right scene/spot all the time.

Comments are great, searching for comments, too.ย 

NM Project Manager has some bugs as the whole software...

I used it solo, but it's meant ย for groups. That's why it's a feature of NM Server, only. But I found it useful for solo working, too. NM does not support exporting all stuff with audio files and folder structure similiar to project structure. (you only can do it manually) That would be a great feature: when you grab your session and go to the mixing stage, you'd take all the project sounds with you and find them quickly.

In BH I used Collections in the meantime. But... "show contents" and always clear the search fields before...

1 Reply
Admin

@mspisak

But correct me if I'm wrong.  the NM Project Manager seems more like a tool for a supervisors to pull files for editors to use before starting a reel.  That is what 'Collections' was partly created for and seems like slapping a few extra features onto 'Collections' would cover the bases of their feature. 

My 'Project Mode' will be documentation/snapshot of all files used while you cut the reels so instead of saying.  "I probably want to use these glass impacts in this reel/show....let's put them in a holding tank for later" it will instead log which glass impacts you actually did use without the need to stop working besides to change the [location] or [reel] value maybe if you cared to but wouldn't be mandatory at all.

What would make it even cooler will be a way to link them to create 'Collections' folders at the same time somehow if desired......hmmmm

Customer

Yes, you're right it's a tool for supervisors, mainly. Your idea of logging the sounds is good. On the other hand I used to work with scenes in PM. Think of this: a scene in a sewer where Alien is living, you've collected ambience sounds like room hum, water, wind aso. next time in the sewer you would like to alternate the ambience, use this other dripping sound, the hoohoo wind you've found before but did not use...

My workflow was: first collect sounds which might work for a scene or a spot, then listen again and throw some out, then start editing. Next time at a similiar scene in the film I just opened this collection and continued editing. But perhaps that's not the only way and not the best way to work...

1 Reply
Admin

@mspisak

When I was a working Sound Designer in Hollywood.  I used to know people that worked like that and watched the movie before starting it.  

Me??  Not even close....Lol!

I immediately just cut from top to bottom and ship it and never look back.....hahaha
Supervisors wouldn't bother to pull sounds for me anyway cuz they know I wouldn't bother to look at them and I always brought the fire to the mix stage with better sounds then they have....8)
and with shrinking budgets in Hollywood  it's rare anyone pulls sounds for another editor in this world.

that being said PM could be made to work with Referenced Xfering easily so you can use it before the work begins or after so both styles of cutting will be covered.  ๐Ÿ˜‰