Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Feature Request - Gain Adjustment on transfer

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Customer
Topic starter

I've been using Soundly and one feature it has is, the clip transferred into Pro Tools is automatically gain adjusted according to the volume fader in Soundly.  

Because I am working in a calibrated studio, my speakers may be at 79 or 85 db, depending on the project.  As we know a lot of sound effects are mastered very loud.  Playing back these sounds at unity gain in a studio calibrated to 85 will blow your head off. So because of this I adjust the playback volume within BH, so I can audition sounds at a reasonable volume.  Once I spot these sounds to Pro Tools, I have to clip gain them down to a level that is suitable for an 85db calibrated room. So every day I am constantly clip gaining sounds down after importing them.

With Soundly, the volume I am listening to within Soundly, will be the volume they play back in Pro Tools, with no clip gain adjustment needed.  This has made editing so much easier for me, and lets me mix my multi tracked FX much faster if I can adjust the gain within Basehead first.

I feel this would be a helpful feature to implement. 🙂

1 Reply
Admin

A suggestions is you can use the Process section of BaseHead to add any effects you like for this kind of process. We now have what is called the "Monitor" section of the process tab which is designed to be used as a way to add plugins you want when you monitor sounds (such as a limiter/expander, compressor or whatever). This is usually not applied to your audio exports but can be with a simple switch: 

This would allow you to add any kind of plugin to set whatever desired level you want to limit your content to and what you hear will then be applied. Allows more flexibility with your own choice of plugins than an internal limiter. 

Note that processing is applied when you Transfer files (using T/X/C) and when you use the DnD bar in the waveform. It is not applied when you drag files direct from the file list as no transcoding occurs.

This is not available in Lite versions of BaseHead