Clear all

[Solved] Cross platform

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Customer
Topic starter

Me again.

I would like to use my library across platform mac and wind using the same HD with Basedhead. Is it possible? 

2 Replies
Admin

Yes this is possible as long as both systems can read the drive and files and you are using either Standard or Ultra version of BaseHead (drive remap function is not supported in the Lite/Free versions)

Mac and Windows differ in how the paths work which is why BaseHead has two separate fields available in the database, one used for macOS [path] one used for Windows [folder]. These are automatically read on each system so you can keep a macOS and Windows specific version of the path together without having to constantly change between systems.

BaseHead will attempt to generate the opposing [path] if importing on windows (and vice-versa) but you can use the Drive Remap function to easily update the volume/path if required and write this into the database. Once set correct, you can then easily use a portable drive with the database file stored on it and move between windows and macOS seamlessly. 

More info on this including a video of how to actually do this can be found here: 

https://baseheadinc.com/index.php/knowledge-base/options-menu-page/

Just scroll down to the Drive Remap section. 

I would suggest first making a test database using just a small amount of records from the drive so you can quickly test your approach and not screw up your actual database/ Once you understand how to make it work, just apply to your database.  

Customer
Topic starter

Thank you!