Notifications
Clear all

Deep Character Search - Effect on Results

5 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
Customer
Topic starter

Posting here before filing a bug report in case I'm just misunderstanding the functionality. The way I would expect it to work:

Deep Character Search *Off*: only results that contain the full word(s), i.e. separated by spaces in the target field, will be returned.

Deep Character Search *On*: allows a substring match - e.g. searching for "drum" will also return a record with "drum27."

It does seem to work until I use multiple search terms, and engage the Thesaurus. In that case, the stricter method (DCS off) actually returns many more records than with it on, usually 6x more, sometimes 20x more. This is the opposite of what I would expect (stricter should return less). Many of the returned records don't even have the entered search terms - as if it were doing an "or" search on the multiple terms instead of an "and."

Is there something about using multiple search terms combined with the thesaurus that I don't understand?

4 Replies
Admin

You would need to create a support ticket, attach the database you are using along with examples of your searches so we can check it out. cheers.

Customer
Topic starter

Will do -thanks.

Customer
Topic starter

Just wanted to update in case anyone else has the issue - was reported in a support ticket and is fixed in the current beta (2021.4.8). Thank you!

1 Reply
Admin

@joshua-fielstra

Good to hear and thanks for letting us know the fix worked.