Notifications
Clear all

Synology ds918+/SQL

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Customer
Topic starter

Hi, I have an ultra edition license and I want to put my fx library in a nas synology ds918+ and share it with an audio editor friend who also has an ultra edition license (each one from home and on mac), and I have seen in BH options that I can enable the database server with cubesql, if I install (sql) in the nas, could we share database from the same library?. Has anyone been able to do this or do you know if it can be done?

Thanks for your appreciated help

4 Replies
1 Reply
Customer

Posted by: @iolmor

Hi, I have an ultra edition license and I want to put my fx library in a nas synology ds918+ and share it with an audio editor friend who also has an ultra edition license (each one from home and on mac), and I have seen in BH options that I can enable the database server with cubesql, if I install (sql) in the nas, could we share database from the same library?. Has anyone been able to do this or do you know if it can be done?

Thanks for your appreciated help

We've been using https://baseheadinc.com/index.php/basehead-server/  for 3 years on Avid NEXIS system, the BH Server is on a macOS server I use for a bunch of stuff and it works great. No issue in this 2/3 years.

I really advise this IF you really need it, It just works!

Admin

If you need to share just the files between 2 machines and are happy to have local databases on each then you just need remote access to the files and don't need to share the database. 

However, the single seat license uses an SQLite database which is only designed for single user access and is NOT recommended to try and run this database off a network drive as SQLite is not optimized for network usage so can have some issues. If you need multi-user access with a central server then you will want to consider the Server option for Basehead which takes care of all that: 

https://baseheadinc.com/index.php/basehead-server/

Admin

I think what iolmor  is also asking about is sharing the AUDIO with a freind at another location.  I know this cuz he send me an email about it also.  😉

the database is a whole another answer and the easy part. The hard part is the audio.   
I have a Synology DS something also and while they work great on a local LAN their upload is horrid I have found and I feel your friend at another location will not be happy with the performance but you can try.  So you have some options....

A) find a way to get that Synology to appear as a mounted network volume on his machine.  Then just give him your database and if the files are at the same path see how they play.  If the paths are different then use drive-remapping to adjust them.  BUTTT my guess the speed he gets the audio will be horrid.  I hope I'm wrong though!  Someone might have made a plugin/addon in the Package center for it that might work well but your home upload speed and the Synology upload will be a massive bottle neck I would think.  

As a test....try just sharing a 50MB file from the NAS and send him the link as a test.  In my experience it always brutally slow.  8(

anyway give it try.  Maybe the new Diskstations are better than mine.

B) ditch the idea of using the NAS and upload the effects to AWS, Azure or Google Cloud Platform and stream the files instead. Make the database and re-map the paths to HTTP ones and send your buddy the database file.  This is not for the faint of heart and you will need to be a bit technical person.  See the HTTP section here https://www.manula.com/manuals/basehead-llc/basehead-online-manual/bh/en/topic/online-cloudpacks-and-http-playback

C) Hopefully by the end of the year we will have an option to do B for you with storage plans and collaboration options.

D) use a folder syncing service that sync both SFX and the database like using the same Dropbox account.  FYI: we don't allow edtiing metadata when it these folder cuz disastrous results may happen but the rest should work fine  😉

E) OR Just copy the drive and send it to him in the mail and slap the database on a synced folder
easy peasy.....;-)

Goodluck!

Customer
Topic starter

Thank you all for your appreciated and quick responses. Now is the time to think and test.

Best Regards!