Did Mac build 2020....

Notifications
Clear all

Did Mac build 2020.12.103 break multi-database functionality?

6 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Customer
Topic starter

Getting this error message when trying to switch databases with the drop-down box in the left hand corner:

I also tried to create a new database via the menu, which it seems it does ok but it never appears in the DB dropdown list. Can relaunch BH and it's basically stuck on the same dB that was active prior to this build update. Maybe several updates, as I have not had to switch databases for a while.

Anyone else seen this on a Mac? 2017 iMac here with High Sierra, BH Ultra 2020.12.103

5 Replies
Admin

Can't say that I am seeing that error on my Mac running Catalina on a 2019 MacBook Pro. Running the same version I can switch databases and create new ones without issue. 

First thing would be to try trash BaseHead and install the latest version again and if that does not ork, try and trash the BaseHead preferences: 

Where are the preference files stored in case I want to delete them and start fresh?
They are in three main places.

1. Open the Terminal program and paste in the below (without the quotes) based on your version you are running.

version 2020 or higher
"defaults delete com.basehead.BaseHead"

IMPORTANT!!  if you did NOT see the BaseHead Welcome Screen on next launch then the above didn't work so try this then...

• Do the above one more time
  • Empty your Trash
  • Reboot your Mac

2. If the above doesn't fix your problem, more additional prefs are stored here that you can start renaming one at a time until your find the problem one or the whole folder and let them re-build
<user>/Library/Application Support/BaseHead/
if you can't find see this above folder then open terminal and enter this (without the quotes)  

"chflags nohidden ~/Library/"  

3. The final Place for files to be cleared or renamed is in ~Documents/BaseHead (4.x/5.x)

Failing that, open a support ticket and attach your error messages and debug log to the ticket. 

1 Reply
Customer

@jasona Clearing the prefs fixed it. It's like back in the glorious days of Mac OS 9 🙂 Thank you Jason.

Customer

I got this two with the latest beta and it worked for me.

1 Reply
Admin

Posted by: @marco-bernardo

I got this two with the latest beta and it worked for me.

It is almost always recommended to do this and is almost the first thing we copy/paste as the first suggestion when users have any issue with Basehead especially after an update. 

This clears out all the variables that keep track of all the small things you do within BaseHead and is needed to be cleared sometimes as new versions can add lots of new features or change things over time. This does not clear your options tho, just things like the columns that are displayed, the last databases you used, the settings on the result list etc. Stuff that is easily fixed within a few minutes so keep that tip handy or refer to the FAQ for this tip also if you have any kind of issue that crops up as it is the fix for a good 80% of support related issues.

Customer

I just created a script for this! 🙂

Thanks for the info.