Clear all

BaseHead Mac 2021.2.27 BETA

13 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
Admin
Topic starter

We have 3 major major features appearing their heads in this version

1. CPM Master Database Searching directly from the Results List. 
Lots of you requested this after purchasing CloudPacks so here it is!
For this to begin working in this BETA you will need to launch the CPM pressing 'F12' and wait maybe 2 minutes while it downloads the master DB and does some work.  After restarting BH you "should" start seeing how many results are found in the CPM and when you click the Cloud Icon it will show them in the Results List and allow you to audition them and of course clicking the button near the artwork will take you directly to the CPM Store item to purchase it in a few clicks. 😉

2. CatID Template Importing (with Included UCS Template)

Phase one of many in our planned category system over-haul is ready for testing and that is the CatID importing.
After installing this version you will see a Global option to select a CatID Template on the Options Page where the Font selection used to be.

Make sure to change that from (disabled) to "UCS v8.0" to start and it will now read the CatID_ on the front of filenames and read the template and squirt the template values into [category] [subcategory] and [short_id] in the database.

On the Chunks Panel is a way to set it as Low or High priority in relation to iXML values in these 3 [fields] 
Even when set to "Low" it is higher priority than any other chunk if found when not (disabled) on the global Options Page 

Send us any UCS filenames that don't seem like that are parsing correctly during Importing.  You can just send copy/paste the filename in this thread so we can test it out here.  We will explain how you can duplicate and modify the included template later on if you want to use your own custom in house system with it as this system will be tailored for all to use but for now we are focused on UCS users.

3. CloudBased Floating Network Licenses:
Got internet everywhere you work and hate carrying dongles? Need to dish out temp licenses to WFH users?  Then this is for you!
See this post to learn more and how to help test this out before it goes Live!
https://baseheadinc.com/index.php/community/general-non-platform-specific-discussion/new-cloudbased-floating-network-licenses-now-in-beta/

Other changes so far...

• Search: Browse Arrows Height/Width fixed
    • UI color for panels unification in progress so let us know if any colors are wildly out now.
    • BaseHead Server: Error fixed caused by non-ASCII chars
    • BaseHead Server: ‘Add’ with CPM the issue fixed.
    • CloudPacks: fixed issue with icons not shown in M and L widths
    • CloudPacks: Disabled “Localize” context menu for Free Packs as it was never allowed.
    • FTS fix done for new Databases
    • Demo Mode fix done when USB Missing Device window appears.
    • Fixed: Some hidden command bar buttons were still clickable in Taglist and browser tabs
    • Results List: Multi-select drag issue fixed
    • Fixed: Disabled thesaurus matches were causing BaseHead to crash if searched
    • Font/Size: Moved from Options Page to Results List right click header now since only affected the Results List anyway.  The same control is coming to other pages/panels soon..

Download Link: (Updated Link to latest build)
https://storage.googleapis.com/basehead-downloads/BaseHead/BETAS/BaseHead_Mac-2021.2.27%20BETA.pkg

12 Replies
Customer

Thanks for this Beta!

I've tried with a few sounds I have with filenames UCS compliant, works great!

I had to delete the records and rescan the relevant Imports, it would be nice to have the option to import UCS data for files already in the DB. With a right click menu?

I look forward to the next steps, especially the ability to browse Categories / Subcategories in the PeekTree 8)

Cheers!

Côme

Customer

Actually there is a catch :

Sounds with the optional User Category are not recognised 🙁

I like to append -INT or -EXT  as a user category on some sounds, here's an example of a file name that is not read as UCS by BH : AEROJet-EXT_Private Jet Takeoff Whine Distant Pass By Cannes_COM_CJ_H2

It'd be nice to support this User Category field and make it visible in the results page. And browsable in the future Peek Tree feature 😉

1 Reply
Admin

@cosmotone06

Coolio!
We will check out the spec regarding that in a bit, but I know right now we match based all the way to the first underscore currently.  We might need to remove that then.
A 'Categories' Node will be appearing in the PeekTree this week or next.  To start it will be it's own TAB in the PeekTree most likely.  We just started coding it this morning.

And yes there is a plan for Imports/Rescan to update records currently in the DB if the CatID in the selected template is found  😉

Customer

Perhaps I should post this in the main UCS feature thread?

You should indeed double check the specs especially regarding the optional blocks. Those are the ones in orange bellow :

CatID(-UserCategory)_(VendorCategory-)FXName_CreatorID_SourceID_UserData

UserCategory is an optional tail extension to the CatID. It is designated by simply placing a –
after the CatID and adding a user defined term or abbreviation. 
It is designed to allow users to create their own sort of sub-sub-category, a third category of
their choosing. The user might also choose to define this as a set of abbreviations and a look
up table. A common use might be INT and EXT for INTERIOR and EXTERIOR.

UserData is the last chunk of data in the filename structure, and it’s completely freeform. Each
user or vendor will decide how to use this information, as we do no assign it to any standard
metadata field. You could store here a microphone or perspective, a unique filename number,
or any other information you want to distribute to the end user.

The whole filename doc can be found here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nsp_J-sLoJbYQ3hdOFLKLLQT72tjNqF3/view?usp=sharing

It would be very neat to have each bit of the UCS structure mapped to a field in BH. I guess you'll have create extra fields though.

Here's a breakdown :

• CatID
    • Category : already mapped to Category field in BH
    • Subcategory : already mapped to Category field in BH
    • UserCategory : create a new field in BH?
  • CreatorID : vendor, recordist or designer name - many available fields in BH (designer, manufacturer, recordist...)
  • SourceID : name of the show, project or library - to be mapped to the project_name field in BH?
  • UserData : to be mapped to the notes field in BH?

Great news regarding the PeekTree and Imports/Rescan!

Let me know if it's relevant to post the above in the main UCS feature thread 🙂

Cheers!

3 Replies
Admin

@cosmotone06

My guess is whatever UCS has it will need to fit within the constraints of what BaseHead offers already. Any extra info would probably be imported within comments, description or notes since we have to also consider compatibility of data and fields with the users who have no interest in the UCS format.

The "usercat" extension data for instance is not designed purely as a sub-sub category of a sound classification, but according to the documentation could be anything from microphone, perspective etc. However this could be imported as a Note for instance and then given the search/filter options of Basehead and the batch renamer you could easily then filter for this data after import and batch apply to any existing field you choose.

As long as you use your own standards for the file tagging, BaseHead can filter that data and do with it what you need (technically you can filter this already from filename in the batch renamer and do all the batch processing without UCS compatibility)

See what Steve says but without good reason I don't think additional fields are desired.

Admin

@cosmotone06
I will check this out next week more.  Putting out fires today in our areas....haha
No need to add this to UCS thread as it's already here and that one will will get unruly soon I feel.

Admin

@cosmotone06

I just did a fix to import files correctly if a -UserCategory is added to still import the CatID correctly.
It's in v2021.1.21 or higher that will come today or tomorrow and was also done for PC (if you guys are also watching this thread) 

No new DB fields are coming anytime soon unfortunately cuz that is not something to do lightly...hehe 
We are just gonna focus on reading CatID_ for now until we get thru all 3-4 phases of new Categories features that are already planned as these features can be used by the masses and not just the few.  😉

cya!

s.

Customer

Steve, Jason,

Thanks for the replies and sorry for being silent last week, was in a rush too!

I understand the complexity if fitting new fields in an open system, I'll look for ways to workaround with existing fields and chime back if I'm having difficulties.

Look forward to the PeekTree features coming soon (although I'm pretty sure this week won't allow allow beta test on my side 🙁 )

Cheers

Côme

Admin
Topic starter

Version 2021.2.25 BETA Posted

This has the above importing change and a bunch of other improvements in the top 3 new major features coming
FYI: Categories are still not populating in this version even though you will see a new temp button to toggle to it.
Still a day or two away for that on mac.  8)

This version has more CatID importing and CPM Master DB search fixes in it than anything to play with as those 2 will be announced this week via the newsletter etc....  😉

Download Link:
https://storage.googleapis.com/basehead-downloads/BaseHead/BETAS/BaseHead_Mac-2021.2.25%20BETA.pkg

Admin
Topic starter

Version 2021.2.27 BETA Posted

This version populates the Categories tab and allows filter searching and clicking to search them now.

We have a few improvements still for this TAB and 2-3 more features to add but at least now you can see the Cats/Subcats in your template and search it via a single click.

FYI: we are releasing a new official version this week and this tab will probably be hidden in that version till the next official release so stick with the BETA's if you want to use this feature.  😉
Only CatID Importing and the upcoming Database function 'Refresh CatID Metadata' will be in the official release as far as Categories features are concerned.  Just Phase 1 stuff will be announced basically.

This version also has a bunch of CPM auto-launching/quitting improvements also and bunch of other stuff I didn't bother to right down as I was on a mini-vacay in the North of Thailand at the time. 8)

Download Link:
https://storage.googleapis.com/basehead-downloads/BaseHead/BETAS/BaseHead_Mac-2021.2.27%20BETA.pkg

Customer

Is there a windows release? only see the Mac .pkg download

1 Reply
Admin